|March 7, 2013|
|2:00 pm||to||5:30 pm|
This is the first event in the Wayne Morse Center Migration Project’s 2012-13 speaker series “The Borders Within: Immigrants, Race, and the Politics of Surveillance and Enforcement in the United States.”
Starting in the mid-1990s and accelerating after 9/11, the United States expanded the legal scope and geography of immigrant detention and deportation, affecting both undocumented and documented immigrants. In this symposium, we will explore the legal and political history of detention policy over the last fifteen-plus years and its relationship to human rights law and principles. We will also consider how detention policies and practices have shaped immigrant experiences, family life and communities.
- 2-3:30 p.m.—Roundtable featuring Lynn Fujiwara, University of Oregon; David Manuel Hernández, Mount Holyoke College; and Stephen Manning, Immigrant Law Group PC.
- 4-5:30 p.m.—Keynote address, “Mass Deportation and Global Capitalism” by Tanya Golash-Boza, University of California, Merced.
“The Borders Within” is sponsored by the Wayne Morse Center’s Migration Project, the Savage Endowment for International Relations and Peace, The Americas in a Globalized World Initiative, the Global Oregon Initiative, and Center for Latino/a and Latin American Studies.
Access the above link for giving to the Center for Latino/a and Latin American Studies Gift Fund. Online gifts may be made using the form available at this link; all gifts are processed by the University of Oregon Foundation, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization responsible for receiving and administering private donations to the University of Oregon.
- May 30, 2015:
- June 4, 2015:
- June 5, 2015:
- June 6, 2015:
- June 8, 2015:
- October 15, 2015:
- Dr. Mark Carey receives Outstanding Faculty Advisor award
- Creating Welcoming Parks for the Latino Community
- Second Annual Festival Latino
- Workshops from the JSMA Moms’ Art Club: Club de Arte para Mamás
- Latino Roots Celebration
- Discussing Genocide and Human Rights in the Classroom: Challenges & Opportunities